Fall in the numbers of Orthopaedic Surgeons on the NHS

Orthopaedic Surgeon

An orthopaedic surgeon is a surgeon specialising in bone and joint surgery.

In the UK, orthopaedic surgeons cover emergency orthopaedics – which means fractures, dislocations and muscle and tendon injuries, as well as elective orthopaedics – such as hip replacements and knee replacements for arthritis, hand surgery for rheumatoid disease and carpel tunnel tunnel release for carpal tunnel syndrome. There are many other conditions which can be found on our other information websites.

In other countries, emergency orthopaedic surgery is sometimes performed by general surgeons, leaving orthopaedic surgeons to specialise in the elective joint replacements.

As with general surgeons and other surgeons, in the UK, orthopaedic surgeons undergo basic surgical training before specialising in orthopaedic surgery. As junior orthopaedic surgeons, they have the honorary title of Dr. Once they get their fellowship of the Royal College of surgeons (FRCS) they hand back this honorary title and become Mr. or Miss if female.

In the UK, all surgeons do this and this is why it all practising surgeons who have passed their fellowship called Mr or Miss if female.

Orthopaedic surgeons often sub specialise in one or two areas of orthopaedic surgery.